Saturday, March 9, 2013

Ma! The meatloaf!

This recipe is inspired by the Apply/Turkey Loaf sticks by Wholesome baby food.  This recipe has your protein, starch, vegetables and fruit!  I have made the turkey loaf, but recently we tried it with organic ground beef that we bought at Costco.  Also, I didn't have any carrots but had a TON of butternut squash so I substituted.  We also don't puree anymore because our boys are very good at eating and chewing their food.  I would say that is totally up to you, but for me it's one less step to worry about.  I found the oat bran, applesauce, and bread crumbs at Trader Joe's.  My husband has a simple way to cube a butternut squash which I will post soon!

Recipe:
1 lb organic ground beef
1 egg
1/2 cup organic butternut squash (cubed and steamed)
1/4 cup unsweetened organic apple sauce
1/4 cup natural oat bran
1/2 cup organic bread crumbs
Basil to taste
Garlic Powder to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat over to 350 degrees
2. Lightly oil a loaf pan (a little olive oil works well or a pam spray of your choice)
3. Combine all ingredients in large bowl and mix together.  If mixture is too dry, add less bread crumbs next time but add more applesauce to moisten it up.
4. Put mixture in loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes.
**Since it's for the babies I always use a thermometer to check the inside and make sure it reaches 160 degrees**

Ingredients (minus the beef)

Steaming butternut squash
Ingredients combined 
Adding the butternut squash
My husband doing the dirty work of mixing!  It's easiest to mix with your hands! 
In your loaf pan
Twin tested, twin approved! 
Now you may be wondering........ my kids will never eat an entire meatloaf!! Don't you worry.  I measure out 5 oz slices, put them in individual bags and freeze them!  Makes it so much easier when dinner rolls around, I just pick a bag out of the freezer and heat the perfect portion.  Remember... if you have one baby you would probably want to do less than 5 oz.  My boys split 5 oz.


Let me know how you like it and if you made any substitutions!

No comments:

Post a Comment