Monday, March 18, 2013

What's for Breakfast?

I'm a part of several mom groups and I feel like one of the questions is always "what can I give my child to eat?"  Especially when it comes to us moms who are new to the whole eating table foods thing. So I thought I would compile a list of healthy and delicious ideas for breakfast.  Also, my boys barely have any teeth.  I was so nervous to introduce table foods to them because how can they chew without teeth?! Well... one has 3 teeth and the other has 2 and they eat meat.  Their gums are a lot stronger than we think!  Recipes for some of these meals will be posted soon!
*Always check with your doctor before introducing new foods you are unsure about*


Oatmeal:
 Once your child can handle thicker consistencies you don't have to mill your oats or buy the cereal that costs $3.99 at the grocery store.  You can just buy a big jar of organic oats and cook up oatmeal like you would for an adult.  Want to make a big batch so you don't have to fire up the stove every morning?  FREEZE IT!  I put mine in my Baby Bullet storage containers and freeze a months worth.  You can add fruit to it when you defrost it!

Fruits: 
Basically any fruit your child likes.  Big ones in our household are blueberries, bananas, pears, peaches, strawberries and mangos.  For those who like frozen fruit - Trader Joe's has an awesome frozen food section with lots of frozen fruits - even organic!

Pancakes:
Any kind of pancake!  See our favorite pancake recipe here.  You can alter it with any kind of fruit.  There are also plenty of pancake mixes you can get that are whole wheat, gluten free, and even organic from stores like Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and Sprouts.  I'm sure there are other places, these are just where I've seen them.

Eggs (High Allergy Food - recommended for 1+ years):
My kids LOVE eggs.  I make them like an omelet with real cheddar cheese in the middle, but they will eat them scrambled.  This week I am going to try making mini quiches (of course I will post it!) and I can't wait to see if they like them!

French Toast:
You can make this with whole wheat bread, just like you would for yourself.  Cut into bite sized pieces or sticks!  Personally, I wouldn't add syrup as a topping because I don't think kids need the extra sugar but that's totally your choice.  I think french toast is tasty enough on it's own! You can even add a little cinnamon to introduce a new spice!

Waffles:
Ok, so who has time to break out the waffle maker every morning?  NOT me.  Here's an option: make a batch like we do with the pancakes!  Freeze them and pop in the toaster oven!  Another option is to buy frozen waffles at the store.  You can find whole wheat frozen waffles at just about any grocery store you go to.  You can find organic waffles at Whole Foods.  To change it up get some fruity waffles!  My boys love blueberry waffles!

Bagels: 
You can freeze these also.  I've heard that freezing a bagel and giving it to a teething baby works wonders!  You can find whole wheat bagels and add a little cream cheese for a yummy breakfast treat!

In our house breakfast always contains a serving of fruit and a grain/starch (toast, waffle, pancake).  I try to add protein (eggs or cheese) at least 3 times a week.  If I don't do protein at breakfast I make sure to do it at lunch and dinner.

What does breakfast look like in your house?  What's your child's favorite breakfast?!

2 comments:

  1. Love these ideas! I'm going to try bagels and cream cheese as soon as I have time to buy bagels and I can't wait to see the recipe for the quiche :)

    The frozen mangos at Trader Joes are a big hit with our twins. Costco also sells a big basket of organic blueberries and frozen organic peaches that we love. Lately, I've also been giving them the applesauce crushers from TJ's along with their pancakes and these are a nice fruit side too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca! We love Costco and I especially love stuff I can freeze in large quantities! I didn't realize that Costco had a good organic selection! :-)

      Delete