Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Pancakes!!

This is another recipe inspired by Wholesome Baby Food.  Their sweet potato pancakes are AMAZING, and I have made a few variations of them.  Shout out to my friend Rebecca for introducing me to these! The only problem I had was it took me about 2 batches to figure out how to make them correctly... that takes time, and who has time these days?! My goal of this post is to show you how to make these awesome pancakes so you (hopefully) don't have to take two tries to make them.

Tip #1 - If you have one child double the recipe... if you have two children quadruple the recipe!

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup organic sweet potatoes, mashed/pureed
1 organic egg
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup organic whole milk

1.  Mix egg with sweet potato puree.  Add dry ingredients.  Add milk and butter.  It should be the same consistency as store bought pancake batter (lumpy).  *Please note: my pictures may look different from yours because I QUADRUPLED the recipe* 



2.  Spray non-stick pan with a olive oil spray or add a little bit of olive oil.  Pour into pancakes on your pan/skillet.  
Tip #2: WAIT for bubbles to come to the top AND pop then flip.


3. This batch (quadrupled) made me 24 pancakes.  That will last me 6 breakfasts.  I put in stacks of 4 inside of a large ziplock bag and freeze. I take them out in 4's and warm up for breakfast.


When I first made these I was worried they weren't cooked because they were a little mushy in the middle still.  Don't worry... they are cooked!  They will always be mushy because of the sweet potato puree... that will not fluff up and be completely dry like regular pancake batter.  Just like if you were to add bananas the bananas would be mushy inside the batter even when cooked.

Variations I've tried: 

Bananas: Awesome!!! They were DELICIOUS.  It was hard for me not to eat all of them and give my boys some!  Just substitute the sweet potatoes for bananas and you have another breakfast option!

Blueberries: Ehhh... not the best.  Here's what NOT to do.  Don't just add blueberries without being pureed.  I added thawed organic blueberries to the mixture without pureeing them and they turned out bland.  I would suggest pureeing, although that would take A LOT of blueberries to get the amount I would need.  I think next time I'll try blueberry banana so I can mash the banana and add whole blueberries so there's all over flavor! My boys LOVE the sweet potato and banana, but are not fans of the blueberry option.



No comments:

Post a Comment